Saturday, May 8, 2010

Palacio de Mineria

A bookmark from Mexico featuring another historical structure - Palacio de Mineria. Every year the Palace of Mines is used as temporary home office of one of the most important world-wide known publishing events in the country: The International Book Fair.
Palace of Mines, masterpiece of Latin American neoclassicism, is situated in Mexico City, at the end of Tacuba Street, facing the plaza named after Manuel Tolsá, where the equestrian statue of Charles IV, better known as “El Caballito”, creation of the same artist, is located. The most important civil building, made up by this Valencian sculptor and architect, was built to house the Royal Seminar of Mines in order to give academic instruction to miners since 1813.

The majestic monument of elegant forms and exact proportions where light, space and functionality merge, is one of the most outstanding constructions within Mexican architecture. It is part of the artistic and cultural patrimony of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), which, at present time, is under the custody of the School of Engineering.

No comments:

Post a Comment